Sometimes you need to go back to the beginning in order to fully appreciate how far you have come. The above photo unexpectedly popped up on my newsfeed, reminding me that today marks two years since I started the KonMari Method. On that day, I was cautiously optimistic and equally desperate for change. What I was not aware of then was the extent of the change I was about to experience, both in my home and my person.
I have been candid in sharing my KonMari journey. I've noted the highs and lows of the physical process of tidying; and I've focused just about the same, on my personal growth that transpired while progressing through the method.
Conveying the magnitude of change that I have experienced as a result of this method is definitely better suited to a book (someday) rather than a blog post, but if I could go back in time to two years ago and offer myself some reassurance this is what I would share:
- Despite all the things you assume will stand in your way of the process (children, busy schedule, etc) you will find it easier and more manageable than you thought. It will become a priority and through which you will progress at a steady pace.
- You will start to save money almost immediately and by way of selling, even start to make some!
(This may seem like a strange thing to share, but as a family of five on a then, single income, this made a significant difference)
- Almost immediately after starting the process, you will feel a deep sense of calm. Knowing that you are working towards a permanent change shifts your mindset and overall outlook.
- You will learn things about yourself you never knew or recognized. This will allow you to create a vision of your life that you would never have otherwise imagined possible. (Seriously)
- The time you spend currently cleaning and tidying up will be drastically reduced once you complete the method - hurrah!
See, the KonMari Method is bigger than the sum of things you declutter and the beautiful ways you decide to create organization in your home; it is weighted in the first hand experience of discovering your true self and potential. This is the why the KonMari Method is not simply creating change in your home, but rather your life. It is also why I am so passionate about others discovering this process, I want everyone to experience the joy I have found in their own lives.