The importance of efficient storage and organization has been made abundantly clear in the above video. While our tidying efforts through the KonMari Method, effectively reduced the contents of our home by at least 50%, we still have work to do in establishing organization. Some areas of our home are exactly as I want them to be, neat and orderly. Others, definitely need our attention.
The laundry room has been an easily dismissed area in terms of organization and storage. It's not a livable space in our home and therefore, while I recognized work needed to be done, I put it on the back burner. Yet, every time I would be in the room, I felt stressed and anxious. Given that it's where we do our laundry, I spend a decent amount of time in there... so, no more procrastination, time to get the room sorted!
The first task was to tidy up and put all the items that had gathered in one corner where they belonged in the house. Next, was an evaluation of what organizational solution would be best given the space, nature of the room and items to be stored. This is why it is so important to wait until after your tidying to begin organizing. It is impossible to know your needs/wants until everything you no longer want has been removed from your home.
Once I had everything removed off the floor and the existing shelves, it was so obvious that the two long shelves we had installed were not sufficient. I never liked the look of them (definitely no joy factor) and they caused clutter to accumulate under them for things that didn't fit on the shelves. The perfect remedy was found through, Tidy Living (my favourite place to buy organizational items). Two of their 5 Tier Wire Shelves fit wonderfully against the longest wall in the room and left a great amount of room for mops/brooms.
The shelves are strong, attractive, allow for levelling and have adjustable shelves. I organized the two shelves according to likeness. One shelf for 'household goods' and the other for 'gear'. Now everything is off the floor, all items have a designated home, there is easy access to everything and it looks much better! FULL joy now!
This mini project reinstated the importance of taking your time and really working on getting storage and organization right.
Here are the main points to consider if you too are working on organizing a certain location in your home:
- Clear everything out first: Tidy up! Put everything that doesn't belong in that location where it needs to be.
- Gather everything that is going to be stored in the space together, grouping like items with like items. This will allow you to gain a sense of the volume of things you will be organizing and how much storage will be needed and organizational aids required.
- Determine the best storage. My recommendations are to:
- Reduce the amount of things you have stored on the floor.
- Shelves work really well for a lot of things.
- Baskets, bins, trays and dividers work well to corral smaller items on shelves
- Create organization and storage that makes you happy. The more you appreciate the appearance of a space, the more likely you are to maintain order.